Music in My Ears

December 18, 2017






Hey y'all!

This a new post idea that I'm trying out. It's very similar to my sis Lia's posts on Catholic Girl Stuff called Music of the Week.

Except it's not going to be a once weekly thing, but one that appears randomly. It will be a post that outlines what I'm singing in choir, and what I've been listening to at home, including new favorites.

So, what music has been filling my ears lately? 

Choir Music

I joined my church's mixed choir not too long ago. And I LOVE IT.

We're heavy into Advent music and preparing for Christmas at the same time.

This is a hymn we've been working on for a bit:

Jesu Rex Admirabilis


Bonus points if you can figure out which movie you've heard this song from!!

(Need a hint? Here's another version): 




Here's a couple that we're hoping to sing sometime during Christmas:

O Magnum Mysterium


Quem Pastores





Latest Favorites

A new Celtic group that I've been listening to lately is called Anúna.

I've since found out that they are based in Ireland, and they've been together since 1987. Their style is a mix between traditional Celtic and French/Cajun, and Gregorian Chant. A lot of their songs are really beautiful, almost floaty (the floaty songs are perfect for white noise situations, I find.) I personally like their more stirring tracks such as these:

La Chanson de Mardi Gras 
(a traditional Cajun song, arr. by Michael McFlynn)



Dulaman 
(a traditional Irish song)
 (This song is the same as the one covered by Celtic Thunder, just a lot faster)


Media Vita
(Gregorian Chant hymm) 
(This is arranged like a slow march, it's really awesome to listen to)





A country band that I got re-introduced to is High Valley.

This song has been on repeat for hours at a time when I'm doing my Advent penance (AKA cleaning my room in prep for Operation Vintage Makeover) 

She's with Me



No, I haven't broken out my Christmas music yet....that will start to happen next week after Gaudete Sunday this week. I don't like to listen to Christmas music beforehand. Though I did finally finish my Advent and Christmas playlists on Spotify! 


And that's all for this post!! 

What do y'all think of this post? Would you like a Christmas version? Have you heard of/like any of these songs? Chat with me in the comments!

 Old-fashionably yours, 

Catherine

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. Ugh, that first one!! I'VE HEARD IT SOMEWHERE!! I have no clue where though! YOU HAVE TO TELL ME

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably have :) It's from the Sound of Music. The nuns sang it during the Vespers at the beginning of the film.

      Delete
    2. Oh wow!! I haven't seen The Sound of Music in a very long while, so I don't remember it, but my choir has that in it's repertoire and we sing it all the time!

      Delete
  2. Fun post! I recognized that song from The Sound of Music. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE choir music! Today is my last performance with one of my choirs for the year, and it's so sad!!! :''(

    And The Sound of Music! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love O Magnum! Unfortunately my choir usually bombs it every year. :S :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eowyn!

      I don't think we bomb it every year :-) We especially did it well last night.

      I love it so much.....I especially like the Cambridge Singers version (it's the one I practice with).

      God bless and Happy Advent!

      Teresia

      Delete
  5. Oh, the Sound of Music song!

    Did I like this post? Yes! Do I want a Christmas version? YES!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Catherine!

    I love this! Thanks so much for sharing.

    I must admit I cheated: I saw in the comments it was from the Sound of Music (I wouldn't have ever gotten it).

    I love to sing Jesu Rex Admirabilis and O Magnum Mysterium (pretty much my all-time favorite song).

    I use to listen to Anuna but sort of fell off of the band-wagon :-) I do love the sound they make....very light and airy.

    I'll have to check out High Valley. Also, you're doing a vintage make-over?! What time period?

    God bless and Happy Advent!

    Teresia
    Gloria-In-Excelsis-Deo-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. December 19, 2017 at 10:33 AM
      Heehee, it's okay, Teresia!! I found out last night that The Sound of Music's version is a completely different arrangement, so unless someone was paying attention to the words, it would have been difficult to place it.

      Oh my goodness, yes, they are sooo beautiful! I find the Magnum still a little difficult to sing because I haven't quite gotten the entrances right (I still get lost occasionally).

      I can't guarantee that all of High Valley's songs are as clean as this one, I haven't listened to many of them. But that particular one is not only catchy, it's squeaky-clean!

      YES!! I'm renovating my bedroom (which has looked like a hoarder's diaster area for years) into something that reflects more of my adult style. Right now, it's looking more classy Victorian/Edwardian time period. If you look at the bottom of the page (on the web version), there should be a tags footer, click on the tag marked 'Operation Vintage' and it will show all the posts that I've written about Operation Vintage Makeover.

      God bless you as well, and have a happy last week of Advent!

      Catherine

      Delete
  7. This is such a great post! We sing "O Magnum" as well. It's so beautiful!!! But I do have a funny story to go with it. Originally, we learned a different version by Morten Lauridsen. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ch7uottHU) When our director gave us the new piece by Victoria, we all called it "The Imposter" because we liked the old one better. But now, 2 years later, we love both!!

    I can't wait to see more of your room renovation. I am still working on my Christmas playlists. I hope you have a good rest of your advent! Christmas is almost here!

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy to see a song from The Daughters of Mary!! That`s the congregation that one of my older sisters is a nun at, and where I may someday go, if that is my vocation in life. Thanks for the post!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *