David the Spider and Goliath the Wasp

December 02, 2017





Hey y'all,

Just be warned, the following images may frighten some people.

So....on Friday (12/1), I was in my hall bathroom (never mind why) and I hear this really loud angry buzzing noise.

Thinking it was a big housefly, I looked around to find it. I moved the curtain and.....

Turns out there was a yellow jacket on the window. Inside.

Needless to say, I beat feet out of there. I'm not dealing with anything with stingers, thank you very much.

Several hours pass, and we discover this had happened: The yellow jacket, interested in the heater on the floor, had wound up in a spider's web. Well entrapped, I must say.

But what struck me was the spider itself.....


I mean.....LOOK HOW TINY THAT SPIDER IS.......


Now, I'm more than 100x bigger than this wasp. 

I have a brain, hands, and other weapons at my disposal to rid myself of this wasp. 

Yet, I ran in fright. 

This small spider had no brain, no weapons or strength, and no talents other than spinning a web.  

And yet, when faced with this large wasp, it did battle and won. And was rewarded with a large meal that will last him for days - a late Thanksgiving if you will. 

It reminds me of a very well-known story in the Bible: David and Goliath. 

An army was afraid to take down a giant. But a shepherd boy with a rock and slingshot could...and did

What God gave to that spider was sufficient to take down the wasp. It needed nothing else. In a similar manner, God gives us strength and guidance, if we are humble enough to accept it. 

Patience and humility are not exactly easy things to practice. It is rather humbling to see this little spider succeed in what I failed to do. For me, it's a small reminder to be humble and patient, and rely on God's strength and His grace as I deal with my 'wasps' in my life instead of running away from them. 

What little reminders of sanctity do you see in your daily life? 

Old-fashionably yours, 

Catherine


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Wow. That yellow jacket is terrifying; that spider is fearless. Your analogy is really cool—God is so amazing, isn’t he? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...that's a cool story Catherine!:) It's amazing that a tiny spider can take down a wasp.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great analogy!

    Also, good for the spider!!! *applauds*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blame you for running...I trapped a wasp inside a closet once :P But yeah, that is a great connection you drew!!

    ReplyDelete

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *