A Sewing Job for the Church Part 3: The Actual Sewing Job

December 21, 2017





Hello all! 

Well, The Job is finally done!!! And frankly I'm relieved! 

In this part, I'm going to relate the actual sewing that took place. Here are Part 1 and Part 2 in case you missed them :).

(you know...I'm beginning to see an inconsistency in my posts with title pics. I've got to work on that...)


This cloth is folded in half - and it almost completely stretches across my parent's king size bed!
Man....I knew this cloth was long but my goodness....

I must admit that I stared at this cloth for several minutes racking my brains to try and find how in the world I was going to match that end. Because it looked like I was going to have to cut it three times and I had to take the embroidery into consideration. 

In the end, I did the only thing I could do.....

Call my mother over. 

(She helped teach me to sew, so she knows about these things.) 

In our consultation, we decided to forego the interior seam that would have required the extra cutting for the much more noticeable task of matching the embroidery. 

Thus, my cutting was reduced from 3 to 1, a much more manageable number. 


It's cut!! 

(I think Someone guided the scissors, because by some miracle, it was straight...*phew*)

Pinning took a bit of time, especially around the embroidery. 

off to the races! 
I'm a speed demon on the sewing machine, normally. This time, I was a snail. Last thing I needed was to make a mistake and redo anything. 

My machine had a little difficulty with the embroidery - so it turned into a hand workout as I cranked the needle in and out of the fabric, moving the presser foot as evenly as possible. Once I got out of the embroidered section, it was much easier.  


For kicks and giggles, I took a comparison photo. The original hem is on the left, and mine is on the right. 

My hems DID end up 1/2" longer than the original (because of that interior seam), which is only noticeable if  you folded the cloths. If someone was to examine closely, they would also notice that there is an extra scallop in my hem than the original, and that the embroidery is much closer to the edge in the original. I sincerely doubt that Father is going to mind these trifling details. It was more important the cloth is divided (and he doesn't have to spend hours and hours ironing one cloth that he only uses half of anyway). 

After I finished sewing up the hems, I did repair a tiny tear on one of the halves that I had noticed when working with it. 

So, now to give them a final ironing - as you can see from the pictures they wrinkled in the short time that I worked with them - and bring them to church this weekend! 

I am so grateful that this job was given to me (even if I did grumble a little about that interior seam). I do hope that Father is satisfied with it...

Old-fashionably yours, 

Catherine


P.S. An additional note on that tip I shared in Part 2: Be careful if you're ironing wet linen - sometimes the iron can stick and that can cause mild scorching. Have found out from previous experience... 


You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Catherine, I can say it again and again, YOU ARE AMAZING. How you could do that I have no clue. Even though you just told me. You are awesome!!! *hugs* I tried sewing today and it just about killed me. I have to have it done by Monday *HELP*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh poor Claire *hugs back tight* thank you! What are you sewing??

      Delete
    2. A quilt. And I'm even using a machine, but... um... let's just say I'm not the greatest. :)

      Delete
    3. Oh that's neat! Is the stitching pattern straight or curved in some way? I have a really hard time with following curves....

      Delete
  2. Wow. That's all I can say!

    God bless and Happy Advent!

    Emma

    ReplyDelete

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *