Workbasket: Something Called a Sontag

April 02, 2023

 

+JMJ+

Ahem. This post has been promised here for months, and it turns out that it was only waiting for a silly graphic. *facepalm*

Welp, it's being published now! Enjoy! 

------

A year ago...I wanted a new knitting project. A different knitting project. A historical knitting project. 

Hey, my creative muse gets a funny turn every once in a while. 

I wanted something along the sweater line, but I'm not good with gauge. I was thinking along the shawl lines, but I didn't have enough yarn to do that. And so I decided to in the middle road with a garment called a "sontag" 



What is said "sontag"? 

Well, to put it simply, it's a type of shawl. A "bosom-friend" kind of shawl. No, not making that up, that's it's nickname. It was called a bosom-friend because it covered the shoulders, back and chest, leaving the arms free. It was popular in the 1860s supposedly because an opera singer named Henrietta Sontag promoted it. 

As a former historical reenactor who has tried working with a shawl wrapped around myself...I wanna know why these garments were only popular for a short period of time. Because I would wear the heck out of mine if I ever got one. 

Hence why I made one. 

The start of it.


For this, I used some blue wool yarn that I had stashed. I believe I got it at a Salvation Army sale. I used size 8 needles, which were *ironically* red. You'll see why later. 

I followed the original Godey's Lady's Pattern, which you can find here, with some slight modifications. Firstly, I kept increasing up the back past where it said (like wayyyyy past) so that my shoulders could be covered a lot better. 

Secondly, I shortened the actual "arms" (?) to only reach my waist. I was dreadfully afraid of running out of blue yarn before I could finish it. I ended up with plenty left over, much to my embarrassment. I made up for it in the ties though, lol. I wasn't 100% satisfied with the shape at first, but I grew to like it after I added on the ties. 



After I finished the "blue" part, it was time to add on the border. The original pattern called for a knitted border, but the blog I got it from also said crochet was acceptable. Since I wasn't comfortable knitting on border, I did the crochet one instead. 

The question was....what design to do? 

I had a couple of choices. Since the project was started on Independence Day Weekend 2021 and finished Independence Day Weekend 2022 (hence why the red knitting needles were so ironic), I narrowed down the color choices to blue, red or white. 

And boy did I have a terrible time deciding. My poor Instagram followers were besieged with polls as to what I should do. 


Before the border

And in the end...I did something that was off the polls entirely. *sigh*

For the border, I crocheted on a white shell border! I used some natural white wool that I had in my stash. It was a heavier weight than the body of the shawl and that made it curl a little bit. The effect isn't too terribly noticeable, and I very much doubt I could have avoided curling entirely because the other colored yarns I had were heavier than the blue. 





I am really glad I went with the white because it sets off the blue a lot nicer than I think the red would have. 

The Sontag was started on Independence Day Weekend 2021 and the blue part was finished Independence Day Weekend 2022. The edging was a couple of weeks after that. So it took a full year, working on and off of it, to finish. Not a bad timeline! 

But now my knitting bag is empty again...a dreadful tragedy indeed. 

Maybe I should try mittens next winter? 

Old-fashionably yours, 

Catherine

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Wow, I've never heard of a sontag before, but I absolutely love the concept! I too would wear one all the time if I ever got one. XD

    Yours turned out SO WELL, too! That year spent working on it was well worth it. (And agreed, that white bordering works very well! :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, but it turns out I had seen them in period dramas and just....never knew the name, lol. I think they need to make a comeback, lol.

      Thank you!!! I'm so happy with it (although I didn't wear it much this winter *sad face*).

      Delete
  2. This is really cool!

    For one thing, I like the concept and the shape! It's a really pretty shawl that looks extremely practical for everyday wear.

    And for another, the fact that you were able to use a historical pattern and modify it is super impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      I was...really surprised I was able to follow it at all. It was really unclear. Luckily for me, there was a blogger who had posted about her own sontag journey that I was able to glean some insights from.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing this again! :D It always makes me think of "Little Women" because the movie adaptations use these shawls sometimes. <3 I wonder if you block the sontag, would the border relax. You could possibly pin it flat after soaking. You should definitely do mittens! I have yet to knit some but they're definitely on my list!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Little Women is the exact timeline that these were popular!

      It might? I've never really blocked anything, if I'm going to be honest.

      Haha, I may do that at some point. I've got some short fingerless gloves on the needles right now.

      Delete

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *