CPR (Chocolate Peanut Butter Revival) Bar Cookies

April 27, 2017






The first version :)

Hey y'all,

So, after Lent was over, I started craving sweets again like crazy, especially since that was the first thing I cut out.

So, a couple of days after Easter, I went to pull down the large package of Chips Ahoy! that I had stashed up for there since forever.

I opened the package, and...they were pale. Apparently the sell by date was back in March. Figures right? I ate a couple, and they seemed just a little stale but not terrible.

Anyways, the search began for a dessert recipe that used ruined/stale cookies. Cause I wasn't about to waste over 30 cookies.

In the end, I ended up drafting one for bar cookies. I crushed up half the package of Chips Ahoy and placed the crumbs with some melted butter in the bottom of an 8x8 pan. Then I melted a Hershey XL bar of chocolate and mixed it with some peanut butter and spread it on top of the crumb mixture. I will say that was easier said than done. Then I placed some dark chocolate Hershey's Kisses to fill in where the mixture missed. Then I placed it in a 350 degree oven for around 15 minutes.

The result? A ridiculously hard crust and a super soft top.

It did taste good though.....

So I tried again, since I only got rid of half the cookies the first time.

This time, I added milk to the crust, enough to wet the cookies that weren't wetted by the butter. Finding out the right amount of milk was really tough, because Chips Ahoy cookies don't need a lot of milk to be soaked. I will say that the milk really helped to soften the crust and it was somewhat easier to spread. However, the layers were a lot less distinct, which produced a blending effect, which I didn't like. However, I'm not sure how to fix that balance just yet. But, the second batch was met with rave reviews, so I will add the recipe file below.

Old-fashionably yours,

Catherine

*********************************************************************************

CPR (Chocolate Peanut-Butter Revival) Bar Cookies

Ingredients:
½ Family Size package of Chips Ahoy! Cookies
Milk
1 stick of butter, melted
1 cup peanut butter
1 XL bar of Hershey’s Chocolate
Optional: Hershey’s Kisses

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Chilling Time: 2+ hours. 
Dishes needed: an 8x8 pan, spatula, microwaveable bowl

Directions:
1.      Preheat oven to 350F
2.      Place melted butter in bottom of the 8x8 pan.
3.      Crush up Chips Ahoy cookies as finely as possible. Spread evenly in the pan with the butter.
4.      Dampen cookie mixture with milk (a little goes a long way). Press crust evenly.
5.      Melt XL bar of chocolate in microwave. Mix with peanut butter right away with spatula for easy blending.
6.      Spread mixture over crust as evenly as possible. 
7.      Bake in oven for 15-25 minutes. If it’s bubbling, take it out!
8.      Place in refrigerator for at least a couple of hours to chill.

9.      Serve and Enjoy! 


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Yeah, I'm super late to this, but anything with peanut butter and chocolate has my attention. I was looking at collections I follow and for some reason, all of yours came up even though I didn't follow them. I guess when I follow you, I follow all the collections. I saw recipes and something chocolate.

    This looks awesome. Not sure if you'll reply seeing as this is months and months later, but I just wanted to say it looks awesome.

    I might be doing some baking soon because some neighbors brought me over a card for graduation. They didn't know I graduated and wanted to congratulate me and I'm gonna bake them some cookie bars. I think I'll post about it and share the recipe because these cookie bars are so good. (Not to pat myself on the back, lol.)

    You have inspired me. :D

    iviewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made my own collection, so I found out that it automatically makes people follow. Seems odd to me, but then I wouldn't have seen the awesome looking recipe. :D

      Delete

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *