My Personal Modesty Journey

January 25, 2018





Hey y'all!

So I was inspired by my dear friend Emma @ Gloria in Excelsis Deo to write about my own modesty story from reading hers. Please go and check out her blog, she's a gem in the Catholic blogosphere!

And now, allow me to take you back in time to a little Catherine....

As a child, I wore mostly pants. I know that I wore dresses and skirts to church - most of the time - as well as some formal occasions (the occasional wedding, birthday party, etc.).

My modesty journey started when I was about 11, unbeknowest to me at the time.

I had just joined my local 4-H Sewing club - a club that I stayed in for the next decade or so. That is where I learned how to sew, in case anyone was wondering.

My first project? I chose to make a skirt.

I remember reasoning at the time that I had little to no "play skirts" at the time. And I thought it was time to expand that particular part of my wardrobe.

I made a beautiful (fairly long) skirt with Winnie-The-Pooh fabric. I still have it - it is now stored away for my (future) daughter.

2 years later, I was more or less pressured into making a pair of pants. I remember not liking them nearly as much as my skirt. Though I think it had more to do with the difficulty of actually making them than anything else.

Fast forward to when I was 15. 

I had just recently "converted" to the Faith. I say this because I was baptized as a Catholic at 5 months but never received full instruction or was received into the Sacraments because of the fact that my mom is (and always has been) Protestant. Not that I hold it or anything else against her by any means. It just bears a lot on my story, so I feel the need to disclose it.

After I received the Sacraments, I was kinda thrown into kind of an identity crisis of sorts. I knew how to act as a woman in the general sense of the world. But....how was I supposed to act and dress as a Catholic woman?? This may seem like a silly question to ask, but I knew that the Faith was not just a religion but a way of life. And I wanted to live it right - being the perfectionist that I am.

I had no example at home to fall back on. My father was going to be no help in this situation (no offense to him, of course, but....)

So, I began observing other women at church. As I befriended a lot of them, I picked up on their examples and copied them. My Junior Sodality at church was also a tremendous help, as it gave me the example of Catholic girls. It was through their example in dress that I made the decision to wear only skirts to Mass, any Mass whether it was the Ordinary (Norvus Ordo/English) or the Extraordinary (Latin) Mass, as well as veil my head.

At 15, I was still wearing pants in my daily life and functions outside of church. I went to a church picnic around that time, again watching other Catholic women. I noticed that even then, that most still wore skirts!

At 16, I found a book lying around my parent's bedroom. It had a beautiful cover on it, and it was called Dressing with Dignity. With my father's permission, I read it. I'm fairly certain that he bought it with me in mind. Why else would he have it around?

Dressing with Dignity
Goodreads

Anyways, like many other Catholic women, that book changed my life.

I will admit that the book bothered me at first. I was horrified at what the effects of immodesty on men really were. I began boning up on what exactly modesty in dress really was - via modesty talks, sermons, and other books on the subject. I felt this distinct "call" if you will, to lay aside my pants for good, especially in the light that I was dealing with a horrible vice of impurity at the time.

I started slowly - I stared wearing them all day on Sunday first for a few weeks, and then started wearing them on weekdays.

There was one distinct problem though - at the age of 16, not counting all of my good skirts for church, I had maybe 3 skirts. And not all of them good.

Hence, I sought to remedy that problem via my sewing skills. I did make several of my skirts, but my wardrobe was supplemented by hand-me-downs from the ages of 16-17.

Now, from the sounds of things, you think everything is going smoothly, right?

Not exactly.

I faced some family opposition to my new dressing habit.

Mostly, I'm sorry to say, from my mother.

I'm still not 100% sure why it bothered her. Maybe it had to do with my conversion, maybe not. Whatever the case, there were a few instances where she insisted that I wear pants for - things like driving (for the first couple of lessons, which really mystified and annoyed me), horseback riding, etc. She also made a point of buying me a couple pairs of jeans before college (my old ones were getting too small).

Being stubborn as my mother, I stuck hard to my new principles. After several heart-to-heart talks between me, her and my grandmother, my mom accepted my position. Now, my modesty doesn't bother her anymore, I'm happy to say.


My maternal grandmother helped a lot in outfitting, as she introduced me to the world of thrift stores and what wonderful finds existed in them. A lot of my wardrobe has come from thrift store finds that I've either altered or done over. I also received several old outfits of hers - outfits from the 50s and 60s that she couldn't wear anymore. But like my mother, she was worried about my safety in a long skirt. A worry that I laid to rest when I proved that I could climb rock cliffs in Hawaii in a long white skirt and not get a spot on it. I did have to weather a little ribbing when I started wearing modest swimwear, but again, example quieted that.

Things took an interesting turn at the age of 18. Now I was going to college - which doesn't have a lot of skirt-wearing or modest women around.

It took only two days on campus for the question to come up - why only skirts?? I had expected the question to come up sooner or later, but I was surprised at the speed that it came! That question would crop up occasionally over the four years of college, but most accepted it as a part of me fairly quickly.

But, I was going for agriculture. A field not exactly known for skirt-wearing women.

I had made one denim skirt that was pretty durable. Granted, the thing is ugly as sin....

Anyways, I fully expected to be required to wear jeans during the hands-on labs. On the first time out there, I got the surprise of my life when the barn manager basically gave us free rein on what we could wear in the barn - besides the safety boots of course. With the fact that I only had one denim skirt, I made one more - one that worked a lot better and that I kept modifying to figure out what worked and what didn't. I did (and still do) wear the jeans underneath my long denim skirts for protection against barn filth and in case an accident did happen.

The skirt that I made and heavily modified throughout college. It probably could use a few more...

I did have to have a brief stint of wearing jeans for a riding class I took, but besides that, I wore skirts 99.99% of the time I was in school. In fact, I became known for my classy style and my lady-like behavior. I suddenly realized what fruits could be gained from modest dress - compliments from acidic professors, doors being held open, co-workers offering assistance.

I spent those four years exploring modesty more and figuring it out from sheer experience how to become modest in different situations: farm work, outdoor recreation, professional dress and even swimming! I blogged about each of them - just look at the bottom of the page in my labels section and click on the "modesty" label to find them!

I can now pretty much safely say that my journey to being a 100% modest dresser is complete!

With the exception of one thing....

I still haven't figured out how to ride horseback with a skirt.....

As I compose this, I suddenly have realized that my story is much longer than I had thought! For the sake of my dear readers, I'll relate my personal modesty standards in the next post.

Old-fashionably yours,

Catherine

You Might Also Like

21 comments

  1. I admire that you stick to your principles and do what you feel God has called you to do in way of dressing.

    ~Ivie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really interesting to read about. I agree with Ivie--it is certainly admirable that you stick to your convictions.

    What I found most interesting is that you had a conflict with your mother about this. I had just assumed that she was Catholic like you. I do wonder, now that I know she's Protestant, does that difference in your family often cause little conflicts? (Sorry, if I'm getting to personal here. You don't have to answer that if it is.)

    My family is Protestant, you see, but on my mom's paternal side it is strictly Catholic. That means that I have been to Mass my fair share of times and understand more about the Catholic church than the average Protestant. It has, at times, seemed to be a unique situation to have both Catholics and Protestants blended together in one family. That's, I guess, why I'm interested in how it affects yours. Especially when it's your mother and not just aunts and uncles, etc. But, again, if it's too personal, I understand. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elanor!

      Interesting and unique is putting it mildly...*nervous giggles*

      Don't worry, I expected to be asked about it. I'll probably write a post about mixed marriage and how it's affected my family on here in the future. I'm getting more comfortable talking about it - as opposed to when I was in my teens.

      But to put it in a nutshell:

      My mom, who is an Episcopalian, is fairly tolerant of the Catholic Faith. She has attended a few Masses, and she's not adverse to praying to the Blessed Virgin. She was a little more tolerant when we were attending the local English Masses than when Dad decided to start going to a TLM.

      We do have conflict, yes. There's no getting around that. Mom's had to make sacrifices so the Catholic members of the family can fulfill their obligations. The Catholic members have also had to make some really tough sacrifices for the Protestant members too. Family harmony gets disrupted occasionaly. Arguments about religion crop up and can get pretty heated if we're not careful.

      Sure, it's hard being the only faithful Catholic woman in my entire family (my Dad's mom and sister fell away from the Faith, and my mom's family is devout Anglican/Episcopalian for the most part).

      As personal and painful as it is...I know that there is a reason why God put me in this family. I don't view it as being the ideal family structure - far from it, actually. But I love my all of my family dearly, and wouldn't replace them.

      Delete
    2. That would be an interesting post to read, definitely. I think I can understand what you're saying. Thanks for explaining. :)

      So, if you're the only Catholic woman in your family, does that mean your sisters lean more Protestant?

      I have to admire that last paragraph where you said that about there being a reason God put you in your family, etc. That's how it should be. No matter what, family is family, and it's hard not to love them anyway. :)

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! I would be curious too in your situation.

      Hehee, ummm...I don't have any biological sisters - I have 4 younger brothers. One is a Protestant, the other three are Catholic.

      Now, I do refer to Lia (who blogs over @ Catholic Girl Stuff and The Singing Writer) as my sister. I was practically adopted by her family when I was in college and we grew very close. She is the little sister I never had. She's also Catholic, in case you were wondering.

      So true 😊.

      Delete
    4. Oh, I see. You had mentioned Lia before and I guess I kind of had it in my mind that she was like adopted by your family. But you mean like you're just really vlose and it feels like you're sisters. Ok. Haha, my bad. :)

      Wow, so just brothers, huh? I don't have any myself, but my boy cousins more than make up for that. :D

      Delete
    5. Uh huh, that's exactly what it is. There are some days we wonder if we're clones - especially since we have this...habit for getting the exact same answer for any personality test that we take....LOL.

      Heehee, yep. They can fun sometimes...when they're teens it's even more interesting *hides face and groans*

      I never really had any cousins (none of my aunts or uncle had any kids). But I can imagine them acting the same way as siblings....😁

      Delete
  3. This is so interesting, I'm really curious to hear about what your personal modesty standards are.

    I've never been super convicted about modesty or anything, but I respect people who are, and I think it's important to do what you feel God is convicting you of. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read that book before! It really has been an eye-opener! I've been trying to incorporate more skirts into my wardrobe, but I only have one, so it's been really hard :/ I've tried to make my own skirts, which sort of failed when I cut the fabric on the wrong side of the line *fp* But I SHALL NOT GIVE UP!!

    ~Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful post, Catherine!

    I've recently starting thinking about modesty more. My family had to switch to a different church for several months and I fell into the habit of wearing skirts and dresses while there. Then we had to go back to our old church...but modesty is still on my mind a bit. My main problem is that I'm a really active person -- rock climbing, biking, running, stretching. Though I feel I've gotten more modest in everyday dress, I still can't find a way to overcome that hurtle :/

    And I don't really want to state it outright on the Internet, but I'll just say that I really relate to having family members with different views. It's really inspiring how you've been able to navigate through that yourself and stick to what you believe :)

    I can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Audrey!!

      That is wonderful!

      Hmm. I personally have never rock-climbed and I know that skirts can wreak havoc in a bike chain (I may or may not have any experience with THAT).

      A Tunic style shirt over your normal pants may be the best option for you, Audrey. It will disguise some of the figure, but will still give you the mobility that you need in order to safely engage in the activities you mentioned.

      *wry smile* It's not easy, is it?

      Writing it soon!

      Delete
    2. Or might I suggest skirts that are slightly above or at the knee with capri leggings underneath? That's what I tend to wear in those situations...
      I've never rock climbed, but I do bike, run, etc.

      Delete
    3. I thought about suggesting that too - having climbed haystacks in knee-length skirts, I know those don't get in the way. You juat have to get one that is fairly wide so that your stride isn't impeded by the skirt.

      Delete
  6. Awww! Thank you so much! (me: inwardly screaming THANK YOU while grinning and dancing around the room)

    I so enjoyed reading this....I truly, truly did. You're an inspiration! God bless you!

    As I read this post and read the comments, I kept thinking about how brave you are as the only Catholic lady in your family. That must be a hard cross to carry.....just know that you are doing a wonderful job and you're an inspiration for me and I'm sure for many others. And I mean that from the depths of my heart.

    I understand a little about the "family opposition" part. My sisters and I did have to convince some family members, but not to the extent that you had to. I'm sure God is blessing you for your courage in standing up for modesty!

    I look forward to any and all future modesty posts.

    God bless you! Be assured of prayers!

    Sincerely in Jesus,

    Emma
    Gloria-In-Excelsis-Deo-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Catherine! It was really interesting to hear your personal modesty story. (Though I think I've heard some of this already) ;p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog- beautiful story! The Lord convicts everyone in different ways, and you have a great strength to follow your convictions faithfully. It was nice to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Catherine!! This post was wonderful and inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing. I haven't gotten to read Dressing with Dignity yet, but I hope to someday. I have been horseback riding a couple of times, but only once since I've made the modesty "conversion". I wore a below-the-knee jean skirt I found at a thrift store with some leggings underneath. It worked rather well. I'd love to send you a pic if you'd like. :) God bless you abundantly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catherine, you are such an inspiration! I have always been a pants girl, which I am trying to change, but I have definitely always been very modest on my top. My older sister wears skirts and dresses almost every day, but she used to wear very low tops, or skirts with big slits, but she doesn't anymore.

    You are such a blessing in my life, thank you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really interesting! I'd love to know why your mother is protestant and how you came to not be? That sounds like a story.

    I always have worn skirts, even for horse back riding. I wear a really full skirt, then leggings under my skirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed reading this post, Catherine! I love how you write from your heart!! Thank you for sharing your story! I don't personally have the conviction to always wear skirts but I have many friends who do and choose to respect that and wear skirts usually when I am around them. But I love skirts a lot anyway!!! Most people don't realize that skirts can be so feminine and make a woman look beautiful. They don't have to be dreaded.

    ~ Lilly

    ReplyDelete

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *