What "Christmas Music" Can I Listen to in Advent?

December 10, 2019





Hello all!

Our society celebrates "the Christmas season" from the end of Thanksgiving until Christmas Day. Christmas decorations are going up and of course, shopping.

But for some of us, it can get a little awkward especially in the beginning of the season as Christmas music, which is increasingly becoming more and more secular as time goes on, is played on the stereos.

I personally do not participate in the full "secular" Christmas season. I did as a child. But as I grow more in my Faith, I now celebrate Advent, which is the liturgical preparation for Christmas. Part of that, and the most obvious, is that I refuse to listen to Christmas music until the 4th week of Advent.

But does that mean that I only listen to 6 versions of "O Come O Come Emmanuel"?

(Well, I do have 6 covers of O Come O Come Emmanuel in my Advent playlist, but that is neither here nor there. There are much more Advent hymns that exist, and for anyone who wants recommendations on Advent music, feel free to contact me.)

The answer is no!

When I initially developed my Advent playlist two years ago, I thought that it could only be made of hymns. What secular music would be appropriate as most was celebrating Christmas before it was even here?

It wasn't until I was developing my Christmas playlists that I found several songs that were either appropriate for winter or spoke to the longing and preparation that makes up the Advent season.


And today, I'm going to share what those songs are! For the sake of convenience, I've only included "mainstream" music hits. I've not put up any Christmas Pop songs either, most of which I find have a lustful undertone that I find offensive.



"Silver Bells" - The line "Soon it will be Christmas Day" is what started my search for secular Christmas music appropriate for Advent. If there was one, there had to be more?


"Sleigh Ride" - This is more of a winter carol than a Christmas one, but since snow often falls in Advent, I don't see much problem with it.


"I Want a Hippopotomus for Christmas" - This is one of my "radio favorites" that I listened to growing up. I highly recommend looking up the backstory of this song :)


"It's Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas" - Another traditional radio favorite, this song speaks of society preparing for Christmas.


"I'll be Home for Christmas" - A wartime song, it speaks of the longing to be home for Christmas.


"Jingle Bells" - This is more of a winter carol than a Christmas one, but since snow often falls in Advent, I don't see much problem with it.


"You're A Mean One, Mister Grinch" - This is only if you like the Grinch or not. I personally do :)


"Let it Snow" - This is more of a winter carol than a Christmas one, but since snow often falls in Advent, I don't see much problem with it.


"Winter Wonderland" - This is more of a winter carol than a Christmas one, but since snow often falls in Advent, I don't see much problem with it.


"White Christmas" - The longing tone is definitely present especially in "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas".


"Jingle Bell Rock" - This is more of a winter carol than a Christmas one, falling in similar vein to the traditional "Jingle Bells".


"Santa Claus is Coming to Town" - Since this song speaks of Santa's preparations, I view it as appropriate for Advent (if you believe in Santa, of course).


"Santa's Gonna Come in a Pickup" - similar vein to "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" except it's a humorous banter between Alvin and the Chipmunks and country music star Alan Jackson.


"Deck the Halls" - This is more appropriate closer to Christmas (I would say closer to end of the Third Week of Advent). It's one of my favorite carols to sing to as I'm decorating the house for Christmas.


"We Wish You a Merry Christmas" - This is more appropriate closer to Christmas (I would say closer to end of the Third Week of Advent). Christmas wishes are already being passed along...


I'm sure that there are a few obscure ones out there that didn't make this list, but that should give you an idea of what music to search up if you're looking for a little shot of Christmas to get you through Advent :)

If you celebrate Advent, how do you celebrate it? When do you start listening to Christmas music? 

Old-fashionably yours,

Catherine


You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Hi Catherine! Lovely post and lovely blog! :)

    Just thought I'd share a song that I love, and that I think would be perfect for this list!

    Snow by Loreena Mckennitt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ickZcAN3Vq8

    God Bless you and Happy Advent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved the song!!! Oh! Also, I think The Angel Gabriel would be a good one! :)

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh this is SUCH an awesome post. It's so tricky knowing when to start listening to what Christmas songs, but it sounds like you have it down pat. Really, many oldie-goldie radio favorites *are* much more in an Advent vein, so I've been enjoying them recently. "Home for the Holidays" is another good one--my brother and I have decided it's a Thanksgiving song as much as it is Christmas, so we crack it out right at the beginning of the season(s). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! I'm going to have to cross check my playlist with yours. :) I believe I have 5 versions of O Come Come Emmanuel in mine. XD.
    One of our favorite pre-Christmas songs is "Christmas Is" by Francesca Battistelli.
    There's also the "December Song" by Peter Hollens that obviously fits best in December. ;)
    Thanks for sharing!! God bless your Advent! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Also, "We Need a Little Christmas" from Mama the musical. :). Maybe a little closer to Christmas as you decorate.

      Delete
    2. *Mame. Starring Angela Lansbury

      Delete
  4. I love this post, Catherine! I hate how the secular world starts celebrating Christmas right after Thanksgiving, and then takes their decorations down the day after Christmas! We usually start listening to Christmas music once Advent starts, but my family has talked about Advent Christmas music. We try to keep Advent a season by doing a Jesse tree with the kids and not watching any Christmas movies or doing Christmas cookies/gingerbread house until the Christmas season.
    ~Gianna
    starlitsea.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *