The Catholic Tag

March 25, 2019





Happy Feast of the Annunciation! Can you believe it is now 9 months exactly to Christmas?

So, quite a few months ago, I snitched this really long, but really cool tag from Sarah @ Life of a Homeschooler. You can view the original post HERE.

This was one of those tags where I couldn't pass it up. I mean, it's a tag about my Faith! I know I don't talk enough about my Faith on this blog and it's an omission that I feel rather keenly. Though I do have an outlet in Maidens for Mary, so if you wish to see more of my Faith posts, check that out!

So without any more ceremony, let us begin! 


1. What is your rite?

Latin Rite, Extraordinary Form. Otherwise known as the Traditional Latin Mass or the Tridentine Mass. It's one of the oldest rites in the Catholic Church and has been relatively unchanged for 1000 years.

As a child, I did go to the Ordinary Form, which is also called the Norvus Ordo (New Order) or English Mass. I also went for short periods during some summer jobs and while traveling.

To be quite honest, I very much prefer the Latin. You have to experience it several times in order to understand it's complexity, but the reverence and beauty of the TLM to me is a more fitting liturgical act of worship towards God. The Ordinary Form is so watered down that it's an almost mindless. No wonder so many young people are flocking to tradition!


2. Cradle/Convert/Revert

Oh dear, this is where it gets complicated.

You see, I was baptized Catholic. But, my parents are in a mixed marriage - my mother is Episcopalian/Anglican and my father is Catholic. As a child, I was raised in both faiths. Which kinda disqualifies me from being a "cradle Catholic" in spite of my early baptism, since I wasn't receiving sacraments.

After several years of study of the faith, I slowly converted (some would say reverted) to the Catholic Faith, receiving my first Confession, Communion, and Confirmation when I was 15. So I always say that I'm a convert or a revert, rather than a cradle Catholic.


Year Baptized: 

The year in which I was born, which was in the mid 90s.


Year Received First Communion:

The year in which I was 15. I know, I'm being super vague. But, as of right now, I'm in obedience to my parents for keeping my exact age a secret.


Confirmation Saint:

St. Catherine Laboure. I was very devoted to St. Catherine Laboure and the Miraculous Medal when I was converting to the Faith, so I took her name when I received Confirmation. And, it just so happens that my Sodality medal is the Miraculous Medal.





Name of Current Parish:

Mater Dei.


Parish Groups you belong to: 

Young Adults Group - which, after a long absence is back meeting again (Deo Gratias!).

Mixed Choir - we have a mixed choir/schola and I've been a member for a year. I quite love it.

I'm also a member of the Immaculate Heart Women's Sodality, which after years of hiatus is back meeting again! 

I've been toying with also joining the Meal Train and with the idea of starting some kind of a sewing group at church, as there are several young women that want to learn those skills :). I've also had a hankering to be an advisor for the Junior Sodality, which recently reformed in our parish.


Prayers You Say Everyday: 

4 Morning Offerings, Litany of Humility, Resolution to Follow Christ, Acts of Adoration, Faith, Hope and Charity, St. Thomas Prayer for Purity, 3 Hail Marys', Evening Rosary, Litany of the Most Precious Blood, Act of Contrition, Prayers for a Happy Death, Commendation to the Sacred Heart....and I think I'm missing a few aspirations in there....


I also say a prayer for my future spouse, a vocation discernment prayer (for career purposes) and the Angelus on a somewhat regular basis.



Religious Items You Travel With: 

White lace Chapel Veil (both in purse and in glove compartment)
Rosary (both in purse and glove compartment)
Miraculous Medal (sometimes two, in jewelry box)
Catholic Girls Guide by Fr. Lasance (this has been doubling as a devotion book during Mass because I lost my missal a few years ago and have never replaced it.....) 
An old Brown Scapular for the shower/pool (so I don't ruin the one I wear all the time)
A string with a relic, a Miraculous Medal, a St. Gabriel medal and a St. Benedict medal. I call it my sacramental chain, LOL. 

Sometimes, I'll also carry a spiritual reading book too. But those are the items that I travel with regularly. 


Do you go to Adoration?

Frankly, I don't. There isn't an Adoration chapel near enough to me that I know of, and it's not something that the Catholic members of my family do on a regular basis. So unless it's at the church I go to Mass at, I rarely go at all.


Last Time You Went to Confession?

March 12, during a retreat we had at church. I try to go once a month, unless I get into trouble, LOL.


Color of your favorite rosary?

Light pink. It's a rosary with Our Lady of Fatima that I received on my First Communion from my Junior Sodality.

Close favorites are a light blue one that my dad gave me, and a red one that Lia's family gave me.




Convert that helped your faith?

My dear friend Annalaura, who converted from atheism (or was it agnosticism?) a few years after I converted and has been a great encouragement in my vocation discernment and journey towards sanctification. Not to mention, traditional femininity.


Cradle Catholic that helped your faith?

My confirmation sponsor, who instructed me in my Faith for several months before I was received into the church. 


Weirdest thing about being Catholic?

I guess the weirdest thing about being Catholic is being part of the oldest counter-cultural movement in the world.


Personal Examples:
I celebrate Christmas through Dec. 25-Feb 2 instead of Nov-Dec like most people.
I wear skirts because the Church has taught me much about feminine dignity, which no one recognizes now.

I mean, the Church has been opposed to worldly fashions and ideas for over 2000 years and it has survived in spite of them! In the eyes of the world....what could be more weirder?


Best Thing about being Catholic? 

Having a mother in the Blessed Virgin Mary. In fact, it was this distinction that drew me to the Catholic Faith, because in no other Christian sect is Her pious example or unique role as mediator/intercessor even acknowledged, never mind honored.

We Catholics take very seriously Our Lord's words on the Cross to St. John, "Son, behold thy Mother". St. John, who is only distantly related to Our Lord, represented all of us. The Apostles certainly knew and respected her very much, and loved her as their own Mother.

After all, what other creature has a God willingly bound Himself in obedience to (other than St. Joseph)? What other creature could perfectly follow His Will? It is only befitting that She, humbly immaculate human being, should have an exalted role in Heaven and be a mother to all Christians.




Your Patron Saints? 

St. Michael, patron of my family
St. Megan (Margaret Ward), my baptismal patron saint
St. Catherine Laboure, my confirmation patron saint

St. Isadore the Farmer or St. Northburga, since I do have an agriculture degree
St. Philomena, patron of the Junior Sodality I was involved with as a girl
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, patron of the cause of my mother and brother's conversion


Favorite Saints?

St. Augustine, St. Monica, St. Joan of Arc, St. Thomas More, St. Bernadette Soubirous, St. Anthony of Padua, St. Thersea of Avila, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Cecilia, St. Jacinta Marto, St. Padre Pio, St. Kateri Tekakwitha, St. Gianna Molla, St. Dominic Savio, St. Maria Goretti, St. Catherine of Siena, Pope St. Pius X, St. Maximilian Kolbe, St. Damien of Molokai, St. John Fisher, St. John Vianney......among various others.


Favorite Parable?

I love all of the Parables, so it was really hard to pick a favorite. 

Being of an agricultural bent, I found the Parable of the Sower (Wheat and Cockle) and the Parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard to be my favorites out of all of them.

Though I must admit, the Parable of the Wicked Steward has always fascinated me too....



Favorite Psalm?

Psalms 30 and 22 are my two favorite Psalms.

Psalm 30 resonated a lot with me when I first read it. Hope is a difficult thing to keep alive when going through spiritual trouble. The verses, "Be thou unto me a God, a protector, and a house of refuge to save me. For thou art my strength and my refuge; and for they name's sake thou wilt lead me and nourish me." have been almost a constant prayer for me.  
 
I should note that the numbering system is slightly different in the Douay Rheims Bible. Our Psalm 22 is called Psalm 23 in most Protestant Bibles. I can only imagine that my Psalm 30 is known as Psalm 31. I'm not sure which Psalm the Protestant reformers split up to create this numbering system, but it is worth noting so none of my Protestant friends are confused.


Favorite Religious Order?

Oh gracious, there are so many that I like.

The one that I like the most is the Sisters of Charity founded by St. Vincent de Paul. In the strict sense of the word, they are not a religious order...but in practicality, they are. I like them because they are an active order (rather than comtemplative), which suits my active personality much more. And it is the order of 2 of my patron saints.

I do also like the Benedictines, and the Carmelites. While many favorite saints of mine are Carmelites, I do like the Benedictine philosophy of "ora et labora" much better.



Favorite Catholic singer/band

Clamavi De Profundis!

Though, it's tough to beat such groups like the Benedictines of Mary at Ephesus....


Favorite Spiritual Author?

Joan Carroll Cruz takes this title, without a doubt. Her works on incorrupt saints (The Incorruptibles)  and Eucharistic miracles are among my favorite spiritual books to read. 

The Incorruptibles: A Study of Incorruption in the Bodies of Various Saints and Beati
Goodreads

Favorite Prayer?

Either the Memorore (a prayer of petition to the Blessed Virgin) or the prayer to St. Michael. Or the Angelus, which commemorates the Incarnation of Christ. I can't really decide.....


Favorite Marian Devotion?

It's a tie between the Rosary and the Seven Sorrows. I do tend to lean towards the Seven Sorrows more, since I'm a little more engaged (it's very easy to slip off into a reverie when I'm praying the Rosary....).


Favorite Pope?

Frankly, I believe this honor goes to St. Pius X. I must admit that my studies of the Popes has been rather limited, but I do remember reading his biography and being really impressed by his fortitude and how he opened up the Eucharist to children. 


Favorite Biblical Character?

St. Mary Magdalen. She gives me a lot of hope that I can also overcome my sins and become a great saint. She is also the inspiration for one of my book characters (Magda from The White Rose :) )


Favorite Catholic Movie?


A Man for all Seasons.

I have this obsession for English Tudor history, especially the time of the break with Rome. My guess is that it is quite a bit to do with my mother's Anglican/Episcopalian roots. And as I may have mentioned, St. Thomas More is one of my favorite saints.


Favorite Catholic Song?  

Sicut Cervus, written by Palestrina is probably one of the most beautiful polyphonic pieces that I've ever sung. It's based off of Psalm 42. 




Favorite Encyclical?

"On Rural Life" written by Pope Pius XII

I have several excerpts of it in a page on this blog. It really resonates with me, because it really cements my own positions on agriculture, the value of humility, toil and stewardship, as well as what duties a farmer holds in a society at large.


Favorite Marian Hymn

Hail Holy Queen Enthroned Above!




Favorite book written by a saint?

I would have to say The Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales. Everything else that I've read is either not written by a Saint or I found difficult to read.


Favorite Catholic meme?




I do actually have this reaction on occasion - but even more so when I see religious in their traditional habits :)


For fellow Traddies, I recommend looking up Speck the Altar Boy comics. They center around a very sassy altar boy who defends the Traditional Mass in a very Chestertonian style. Very entertaining.


Favorite Liturgical Season

Easter!

Mainly because of all the Alleluias and the Vidi Aquam chant - which I love more than the Asperges that we normally sing the rest of the year.

You see, before every High Mass, we have an antiphon that is chanted while the priest sprinkles holy water on the congregation. The Asperges is derived from Psalm 50 and the Vidi Aquam is derived from a verse in Ezechiel. Both antiphons talk relate to the action (the sprinkling of water), but the Vidi Aquam is more solemn and pretty in my opinion.




Favorite Feast Day: 

August 15, The Assumption of Mary

Many non-Catholics are not going to be familiar with this particular feast day, so I will explain it here:

Our Lady lived for a few decades after the Resurrection, ministering to Her Son's Apostles and living in the nearby city of Ephesus. After 3 days of death, the soul of the Blessed Virgin Mary was reunited with her body, and both body and soul were "assumed" into heaven by the power of God. You see, She couldn't ascend into heaven, since that power was reserved for God himself. This fact was discovered by the Apostles, who came, in similar fashion to the holy women to Jesus's tomb, to anoint the body of Our Lady....and found it missing.

It was on this feast day I received First Communion, and was probably the happiest day of my life.


Favorite Part of Mass?

Holy Communion. Besides receiving my Lord and Savior under the appearance of bread, I love all the communion hymns that I've sung so far which includes Jesu Rex Admirabilis, Ave Maris Stella, Pange Lingua, etc.



Favorite Sacred Hymn?

It is most definitely Pange Lingua. It's a beautiful hymn composed by St. Thomas Aquinas. I'll link a video here:





Favorite Gospel?

The Gospel of Luke is my favorite out of the four Gospels. There are many interpersonal stories and miracles that are documented there (including a lot of medical miracles, which fascinate me the most for some reason). It's also the Gospel in which the Blessed Virgin Mary is most present.


Favorite Martyr?

St. Miguel Pro, who was a priest during the Mexican Revolution. He is most famous for uttering "Viva Christo Rey!" ("Long Live Christ the King!) before being shot by a firing squad, but the rest of his story is also fascinating.


Favorite approved title of Our Lady?

Our Lady of Good Success

This title is connected to a vision to a nun named Mother Mariana of Jesus Torres in Quito, Ecuador. In this vision from the late 1400s, it was prophesied that in the 19th and 20th centuries, Masonry and impurity will abound and various Sacraments will be attacked, including Holy Eucharist, Holy Orders, Matrimony and Extreme Unction. It's a really chilling prophecy, but not one without hope. There are a lot more miraculous incidents in regard to this vision. You can read more HERE.

My Junior Sodality took this title of Our Lady as it's main patroness, which is where I learned first about this vision.

My second favorite title is Our Lady of Fatima. Appearing in 1917 to three shepherd children in Fatima, Portugal, Our Lady prophesied that if Russia (and Russia alone) was not consecrated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, not only would a second world war break out but Russia would spread many errors into the world. In addition to this prophecy, Our Lady also called for increased reparation in the form of prayer and penance. My family is very devoted to this title of Our Lady and my father and brother will participate in the First Saturday devotion, which is associated with Our Lady of Fatima.


Favorite Bible Translation?

The Douay-Rheims version. It's the closest English translation we have to the Latin Vulgate, which is derived from the ancient tongues of Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic.


Religious Life or Married? 

I firmly believed that God has called me to the married state since I was 15. So unless God throws a 2-by-4 kind of incident that proves me otherwise, I'm looking to marry and raise several children for the Faith.




Homeschooling or Catholic School?

I've been "homeschooled" pretty much my entire life, so I see the benefits and the drawbacks of it. On one hand, I have total control over what my children learn, but at the same time, they could be too sheltered and not be able to be soldiers of Christ. Homeschooling also takes much time, and I'm not a natural teacher.

Tragically, many "Catholic" schools have departed from tradition and solid teaching to chase after scandal and poor formation. There are a few Traditionalist academies, but these are few and far between.

So, despite the drawbacks, I believe I shall pursue homeschooling until a better alternative is found.


G.K. Chesterton or C.S. Lewis?

I haven't read much of Lewis's non-fiction works, but I believe my answer would still be Chesterton, without a doubt. His essays are delightfully sarcastic, but they drive the point home nicely.


St. Peter or St. Paul? 

St. Paul. His conversion always fascinated me, especially around the time of my own conversion. He is much more eloquent than St. Peter is too (sorry St. Peter....).


St. Thomas Aquinas or St. Augustine? 

I'll be honest, even though I have St. Augustine listed as one of my favorite saints, I much prefer St. Thomas's approach to teaching. I tried slogging through some of Augustine's writings, namely his Confessions, and found them too convoluted to get much out of.



And now, I shall tag.....

Nicole Dust @ Legend of a Writer
Anna @ Starlit Sea
Ceci @ Ceci Creates

and anyone of my other Catholic acquaintances that haven't done this tag!


Your turn! Do you prefer St. Peter or St. Paul? What religious articles do you travel with? What is your favorite parable? Any burning questions about Catholics that you'd like to learn the answer to? Chat with me in the comments!

Old-fashionably yours,

Catherine

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Oh, good, I don’t have to steal this. That would be kind of inappropriate for a Catholic Tag. ;)

    Great post! I loved reading more about your devotions and favorite saints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was sooo fun to read, Catherine! I've had Lent at Ephesus by the Benedictines of Mary on repeat recently...so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe! I was about to say "I'm going to steal this!!" But then you tagged me xDD Thank you!!!

    ~Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful, Catherine! Your conversion story is such a great witness. I must say I'm partial to St. Peter, the dear impulsive warm-hearted sinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so interesting and fun to read!

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've experienced Mass is three different languages, but non of them Latin. We don't have a lot of opportunities here...

    Yes, Luke's gospel is my favorite, too! I love the whole message that Jesus came for everyone.

    Whoa, you have a lot of favorite saints! I'm going to have to look a lot of them up. My favorite is St. Clare of Assisi. :)

    One of my favorite prayers (which I just got into saying last year) is the devine mercy chaplet. It is very short, but I like to sing it and it is very meaningful to me.

    Catherine, all of your stories are so inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *