How NOT to plan a Silver Anniversary Celebration, Part 2

April 06, 2018




Now, where was I?

Oh yes....day of the anniversary gets here. I think I mentioned in the last post that there was a nice snowstorm outside, so all of us were stuck at home, right?

Not that I sat around and twiddled my thumbs and fumed for most of the day....okay maybe only half a day.

In the early afternoon, I mixed up what was called a Silver White Cake. I broke down and used the mixer even (even though I hate using that thing, I'm a hand mixer to to the day I die...). I even made some frosting (we didn't have enough store frosting....yet another thing we never picked up.)

Everything went smoothly with the cake, and it got stuck into the oven.

Then the realization hits us at 2 pm...as one of the boys asks what are we going to do for dinner...that we realize that Mom and Dad were going to be stuck at home due to the snow.

Talk about an "Oh crap" moment. We did NOT plan for this. Now what in the world were we going to do? No way were we pulling the quick meal option, not that day?! 

Now, it providentially was my brother Tyler's turn to cook dinner that night. Tyler, while a good cook, is still a novice in the kitchen. But, with my mom out of the kitchen, we had a fighting chance.

So Tyler and I made a fast scour through the deep freezer and the pantry. We found a leg of lamb (Mom's favorite), an old recipe for a fancy macaroni casserole, enough vegetables for a salad, and even some biscuit mix.

After we shoved the lamb in the oven, I moved to get the cake out of the pans.

And what do you know.

The durned thing stuck to the pans.

I cried. Cause a stuck cake spelled disaster and crumbs everywhere. It was right about then that I texted Matthew at college with the following exchange:

yeah...I may have been a little stressed out that day. 

Mommy came to the rescue though, and managed to save the cake from being a major earthquake (thank heavens for the motherly talent of fixing things!!). Once the cake was safely deposited in the cake tray with minimal frosting cover, I set it aside to juggle macaroni, cheese and biscuit dough.

Somehow, between Tyler and I, we managed to cram all the prepping and cooking for the dinner in 3 hours without any major catastrophes....which was a miracle in itself.... 

In the meantime, my other brothers Anthony and Robert made themselves useful by cleaning up the kitchen and helping me set up the table with a new cloth and napkins. I even opened new white taper candles.

We cleaned up a little, put on some better clothes and all sat down to dinner, complete with soda for the boys and blueberry schnapps for Mom and I. (Boy did I need that schnapps....).

After dinner, I finished icing the cake. The roses were a bit of a pain - blasted frosting was very cantankously warm. I practically had to freeze it in order to get it to shape. But in all, I was very happy the way it came out.

why does it look PINK in the camera?? I assure you, it was cream. Buttercream, to be exact

So, the day ended well. We told Mom and Dad that their presents were coming, and no one was the wiser.

In the three days afterwards, I finally got the greeting card, deposited the rest of the cash in the bank and got the picture of the silver pattern. It turned out to be a pattern that had a fair selection of pieces in stock, to my relief.

In a phone conversation with Matthew, we picked 2 silver napkin rings and placed the order. Processing took about 4 days and shipping took another 5. All of us kids were on pins and needles waiting for that package to come.

But it finally did. I'm sure I looked like an idiot when I shouted for joy in my pine sappy vest and dirty skirt (I was pruning a pine tree earlier that afternoon.....) when I saw it in the mailbox.

From there, it got opened and rewrapped - with the order slip safely stored away where my dad won't find it, LOL.



And so, two weeks late, Mom and Dad finally received their silver anniversary gifts from us kids: a $25 restaurant gift card and 2 silver napkin rings. Complete with official greeting card, and unofficial note attached to the rings...with missing words and everything. *facepalm* You'd think a writer like me could actually write a note to a present with proper English...

And so completes my tale of the disastrous 25th Anniversary celebration scrape that I got myself into. My dear friends, please learn from my mistakes and plan ahead...at least a month in advance. And have a contingency plan in case you deal with a snow storm.

Old-fashionably yours,

Catherine



You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Honestly, the way things pulled together still sounded nice. You still had a nice meal and you still did something really nice for your parents. It's nice that y'all came together to do that. <3 But, you've also learned from what you call a mistake. Honestly, I think it was a happy mistake. XD And buttercream frosting is the best. XD

    Great story. It was fun to read. <3

    ~Ivie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you really pulled off a LOT! Goodness... Cakes are ornery things aren't they?? The first birthday cake I ever made got stuck to the pan (it was supposed to be a sister's first birthday cake). So I asked Daddy to fix it. That looked like banging the pan upside down on the cutting board until half the cake fell out. Thankfully we had another cake mix. My dad and I had this horrible idea that we would use the messed up cake, leftover icing and all and make a horrible mess to surprise my mom with. We hid the real thing and got in the swimming pool. When Mama got home, I took her inside and showed her that thing... I will never forget the look on her face.
    Anyway (that was a bit of a rant) sounds like it turned out lovely!!! I'm glad everything worked out. :)
    astoryspinner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that must have been awful. But I think the cake looks beautiful, and you did a good job making it. (Even if it is a little pink.)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! I'm glad it ended up working out, that sounded so stressful.

    I'm really glad that my parent's 25th anniversary is still ten years away, because oh, gosh, no. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, baking disasters are the things that really cripple my emotions. The first apple pie I made from scratch by myself was when my mom wasn't at home. The crust, of course, was ripping apart as I tried to place it over the top of the apples. I despaired. My brother was home, and he ended up patching the dough together and telling me, "It doesn't look that bad." I think that remains one of my favorite 'big-brother saves the day' moments.

    My parents' 25th anniversary was 11 years ago...so I kinda was young enough to miss out on the planning? Of course, in my family, it means nothing happened. But now I've missed the 30th and the 35th, too.

    ReplyDelete

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *