Sweet and Sassy: A Pineapple Dessert

February 21, 2017



Hey y'all,

So the past couple of posts have been pretty serious so I decided to change it up a bit.....with a cooking scrape!

Ok, so I'm a big fan of bulk food stores, but it's an art to make it work for a single person. So sitting in my cupboard was a large container of pretzels that I got over the summer at BJs. It was one third full and growing stale fast. Now, I hate wasting food if I can possibly avoid it, and I had a big potluck coming up. I figured that I'd kill two birds and so, I started looking for pretzel dessert recipes. I found one on The Gingham Apron site via Pinterest which looked delicious. Here is the link in case you are interested: http://www.theginghamapron.com/pineapple-pretzel-salad/. 

So I bought all the ingredients that I didn't have, rolled up my sleeves and got to work!

I simply started by following the original instructions (although I must admit, the crust was terrible. I would heartily recommend that you find another recipe for the crust!). Everything was going peachy....until I started getting frugally fancy.....

The recipe called for drained canned pineapple. Since I always get the kind in pineapple juice, I knew the juice was still good. Boy, I hated to waste all 20 oz of it., Besides, the top NEEDED a drizzle! So naturally, why not make a pineapple drizzle?

Ummm, I failed....big time.

I had no recipe to go off of, so I started creating one in my head. I broke out the powdered sugar and started to pour it in, figuring that it would thicken up enough that it would drizzle. After an alarming amount of sugar didn't thicken it at all, I looked for another alternative.

Cornstarch.

That didn't thicken it either, and frankly, the color looked horrible. Of course I'll salvage it!

How?

Microwave.

(You get where this is going?)

Yeah....PINEAPPLE FLAVORED GELATIN.

Oh brother.......well, it tasted good! I spread the hot sticky stuff on the partially cooled filling and let it set a bit. But the original problem still remained....no drizzle.

So I go searching through and found some dark baking chips in the freezer. So, I tried melting them. Not totally successfully here either. The chips were really grainy and further melting didn't help at all. By this point I was totally frustrated and started flinging the hot globby chocolate over the dessert. I wish I had saved pictures of the original because it was a work of art once it was done.

So instead, I made an artistic representation of it. 
I added extra pretzel pieces in addition to the chocolate, and the dish was a smash hit (only one or two servings left to take home) 😀

I've included my recipe below. Hope you enjoy it!

Old-fashionably yours,

Catherine


Sweet and Sassy Pineapple/Pretzel Dessert
Adapted from The Gingham Apron's Pineapple Pretzel Salad


Ingredients (makes a full 9 x 13 pan):


Crust/Topping:
3 cups of crushed pretzels
2-3 sticks of butter, melted
2/3 cup of sugar

Filling:
16 oz Cool Whip (2 containers)
16 oz cream cheese, softened
2 20oz cans of either crushed or tidbit pineapples
1 cup of sugar (or ½-2/3 cup Monkfruit in the Raw)

Topping:
All juice from the pineapple cans!
1-2 cup of powdered sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
Milk chocolate chips
Extra pretzel bits

Directions for pretzel crust/topping:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Mix the melted butter and the sugar together
3. Stir in the pretzels.
4. Spread 2/3 of the pretzel mixture in an aluminum lined 9 x 13 pan. Put the rest on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 7 minutes.
5. Break up the topping mixture and let cool.

Directions for filling:

6. Cream together cream cheese and sugar.
7. Stir in the Cool Whip and drained pineapple into the cream cheese mixture.
8. Spread into the cooled crust.
9. Set into the fridge while you start the topping.

Directions for topping:

10. Mix pineapple juice with powdered sugar and cornstarch.
11. Place into microwave on HIGH for about 7-14 minutes or until the mixture gelatizes.
12. Stir hot gelatin and spread it all over the top of the filling. Set into the fridge until cool.
13. Press pretzel topping gently into gelatin.
14. Melt chocolate chips and drizzle it all over the dessert.

15. Chill for a few hours. Serve and enjoy!   


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *