20 Hobby Challenge

December 19, 2016





Hey y'all,

Whew! Let me tell you, holidays, colds and finals NEVER mix very well......

In the middle of all this chaos, I have been, in the words of Mr. Darcy, trying to improve my mind with a good dose of reading. Not with Austen this time, however. I've picked another one of my favorite authors: GK Chesterton.

Since fully converting to the Faith less than ten years ago, one of my favorite topics of spiritual reading is the feminine vocation. Besides the Father Brown series, Chesterton wrote many other stories, and essays. One of my latest finds was the feminism crushing treatise What Is Wrong With The World. As the title implies, it is a critique of the modern world in which Chesterton lives in. A good portion of the book focuses on how to combat feminism, and I must say that a lot are sound principles (his sarcasm aside).  

This particular quote caught my attention, however:

"She should have not one trade but twenty hobbies; she, unlike the man, may develop all her second bests." 

Immediately beforehand, Chesterton outlined how many hats a housewife may wear when she is going about her daily duties. Rather than this being oppressive to women, Chesterton puts it as beautifying women. I find that extremely gratifying.


I wonder.....do I have twenty hobbies?

Lets' see:

1. Cooking
2. Baking
3. Gardening
4. Knitting
5. Crocheting
6. Carding and spinning wool
7. Embroidery (fancy work)
8. Sewing
9. Reading
10. Writing (blog, stories, etc.)
11. Music
12. Creating videos (rare)
13. Playing electronic games
14. Photography
15. TV and Movies
16. Walking
17. Cardio exercise (rare....)
18. Card and Board Games
19. Pinterest
20. Horseback riding (rare)

Ok, so I had to stretch a wee bit, but I made it! Do you have twenty hobbies? Tell me about them in the comments!

Old-fashionably yours,

Catherine

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *