In the Kitchen: An Attempt at Unconventiality Takes a Bitter Turn (quite literally)

March 16, 2020



They say "curiosity killed the cat", and in this case, I can corroborate with that.

It all started on Ash Wednesday when I went veggie shopping. I was bound and determined to put in different vegetables than our usual fare, in accordance to my pursuit of Lenten abstinence.

I had my eyes set on one particular vegetable that I'd been seeing in GIANT, a little red cabbage like thing called a radicchio. Going off of the description in the store, it was supposedly good in salads or cooked in pasta dishes.

Oh, and it also said it was bitter.

I had originally intended that the radicchio be sliced and put in the salad. One mini-bite caused immediate regret and decided to spare even myself from that torture.

Hence, it was tossed in a plastic bag until the next Wednesday.

Looking up the vegetable itself, I discovered that it was more like an endive rather than a cabbage and that cooking it helped with some of the bitterness. And that it was prevalent in Italian cooking, for some reason. Pasta salads seem to be a favorite pairing, so I thought about that.

And then I looked in the fridge and discovered...celery-flavored pasta, mac and cheese, and two different styles of spaghetti, in addition to some leftover pasta from a casserole I had made for a Meal Train meal. All from the last week or so.

Clearly, there needed to be a break in the pasta regime.

So, it was time to go recipe hunting. I concentrated on radicchio recipes and came up with this one: https://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/2016/07/baked-cheddar-polenta-grilled-brats-radicchio. By sheer providence, I discovered I had all of the ingredients, as long as I subbed out the brats for some Bob Evans ground sausage, and regular cornmeal for the polenta.

I started on the polenta first. I've made stove-top polenta before and remember how time consuming that was. And so I was looking forward to trying this oven method.

I will admit, it did take more than one stir before it really set up well...contrary to what the recipe says.

I will say, I much prefer this oven method to the conventional method. Doesn't quite require as much scrutiny.


Stirring the polenta. It looks pale because of all the milk but it did get nice and yellow later
Copyright: Catherine Hawthorn


Next was the preparation of the sausage, by setting up the cast iron pan to warm and cutting the plastic off the sausage round to cut it.

And then turning back to seeing the pan smoking merrily. Cause dum-dum put the burner on HIGH rather than LO like she was supposed to. *sigh*




Once the sausage was pretty much done, I addressed the radicchio. The recipe had said to grill it but even though it was about 50 degrees outside, there was no time for me to drag out the grill just for that. 

Pan-frying until charred as the recipe said was sufficient. Right? 

Right......

Even for the adventurous ones of us, the centers of the leaves were just too bitter for us to swallow. The charring was only surface level and so when the leaves were peeled back, it was revealed that heat from the pan had not wilted them as much as I would have thought. My dad suggested trying to cook them down further, as the red parts were okay. 


Wilting the rest of it in the pan with the sausage grease. Not that it helped much.
Copyright: Catherine Hawthorn

Even though cooking them down helped a little, and pairing it with the rest of the meal helped a little more....the radiccho proved to be too bitter for any of us to enjoy. We whole-heartily agreed not to keep the leftovers.

Lesson learned: if the grocery store says that something is bitter...believe them. 


The complete meal

Looking back at the recipe, I realized that I made several mistakes. One was that I should have tossed the radicchio in lemon juice....which may have eliminated some of the bitterness. I also forgot to add the cheese and the finishing ingredients to the polenta mixture. Although, I don't think it really needed it that much - the fresh garlic helped flavor it just fine. It had enough dairy in it as it was, actually.

All in all, the radicchio experiment turned into a bittersweet disaster....and not one that I plan on repeating any time soon. I mean, the only good I see in this vegetable is that it could be a suitable penance-food and that's it. And even an abstinence-lover like me draws the line at this one.

Now it is your turn! What is the most unusual vegetable you've eaten? What sort of foods have you tried that you've heartily despised? Chat with me in the comments! 

Old-fashionably yours,

Catherine

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Oh dear. XD I'm sorry that it didn't turn out like you were hoping! I think the only vegetable that I don't like is artichoke. My sisters always say that I will eat anything! XD I hope that this week will be better concerning food for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister, who used to eat just about anything you put in front of her (she has since become one of my pickiest eaters) would never eat radicchio. Like, you couldn't pay a single family member of mine to eat it. It's beyond awful. Just no.

    I won't eat cauliflower in any form. People have tried to get me to eat it in pizza and "Mac" and cheese and I always can tell that it's cauliflower. It grosses me out so much. So I guess that's the one thing I simply will not eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never even heard of radicchio! It sounds...uh...interesting. Bitter melon is a vegetable I've tried and decidedly not liked. I'm not a fan of asparagus either, but that's only because my family ate it too much when I was a kid.

    Hanne || losingthebusyness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *