Covering My Head: My Reflections on 1 Corinthians 11

June 20, 2019





A blessed day to you, dear reader!

I warn you ahead of time, that this post is quite lengthy and is most likely to stir up controversy. However, it is a topic that is well worth talking about, especially with the recent resurgence in veiling among young Catholic women.

One of the practices that drew me into the traditional rite, was the veiling of women. Even before I officially converted into the Catholic Church, I had decided to take up veiling after seeing the examples of women around me. It wasn't until after I converted that I began to study the reasons behind head covering.

Women have always worn some sort of head covering in every culture and religion. In fact, until around the 20th century, women wouldn't have been caught dead without something on their heads.

Wearing something on the head can be very practical. For one, it keeps the hair much cleaner - keeping the bugs, dirt, and dust away. For another, it protects the tender scalp on the head from sunburning (yes, that is a thing. I've had it happen. It hurts). But is there a spiritual reason why we should cover our heads?

The interpretations of 1 Corinthians 11:5 have been many and varied. Some take the letter of the law and cover their heads all the time. Some view it as the hair being the only covering that they need. Some only cover their head in religious ceremonies. Some wear it as a sign of submission - to their husband or to God.

What is the true practice?

The Catholic Church has made it very clear through tradition (and St. Paul) that women should be veiled when in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, or in the church sanctuary.

There are many spiritual reasons why this is. One is the tradition that sacred objects in the Catholic Church are veiled (the Tabernacle, the Chalice, the Altar, etc.), and the fact that the women also veil reveals their sacred status in the Church. A second reason is that as Catholic women, we imitate The Blessed Virgin Mary, who always covered her hair. Another reason is that the veil is an outer sign of humility and submission to the Lord.

However, for veiling outside of church, it reverts to the custom of the people. From my understanding, it is acceptable to uncover the head for the husband, as it is revealing the beauty of the woman (St. Paul does command that wives make themselves beautiful for their husbands!). As far as I can find, there is no real definitive stance from the Church's perspective on veiling all the time, leaving me to conclude that it is a pious practice that women may take up on their own accord as they wish.



How much should the hair be covered (in church or out)?

Some cultures say all. Some (such as Anabaptist and Quaker sects) cover the bulk of the hair, which is piled into a bun and covered by a cap. Others say that the head should be covered, but the hair that covers the back can be left uncovered.

The general consensus (for there are no set guidelines, unlike modesty in dress) for Catholic women is that at least the "crown" of the head should be covered during Mass. The "crown" is the top portion of the head, where a hat would normally sit. This leaves women considerable freedom of styles of "headcovering" to choose from.

Outside of Mass, it is up to the woman's own convictions and the local custom. For us American women who have no current local custom for a head-covering, we can cover as much or as little as we please. However, when we travel (especially in the Middle East) we should check the local custom to avoid harassment. Remember, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." (but exercise caution - see below)



What should we use to veil? 

For Mass, we can veil our heads with a variety of coverings.

We can go with the traditional lace mantilla.




We can use a large scarf.




We can use a pretty hat.





We can use a lace cap. 





There used to be a tradition in which unmarried women would wear white mantillas and married women would wear black. Some girls would also assume the black veil after they received Confirmation. Now, it is a case of personal preference - especially now that colored veils have gained popularity.

Should we want to cover our heads outside of Mass, we can use a variety of cloth veils, bandanas, headscarves, headbands, and hats.



Some Examples:










The only note of caution is that we should avoid imitating another religious sect's style of headcovering (hijabs, Jews, etc.) or have a veil tied in the same way as a nun's. The reason is that we don't want to deceive others to think that we are what we are not.

Headcoverings, in a more direct way than modest clothing does, is also rather conspicious, so be wary of being ostentatious or standing out - as this is counterproductive to modesty! 


What I Will Do to Veil:

I will always veil for any Mass. It doesn't matter if I'm attending a Norvus Ordo Mass or a Solemn Pontifical Mass in the Extraordinary Form. The veil goes on my head because HE is there in all of His Glory, which is being manifested on the altar and my "glory" (which is my hair) is nothing in comparison. The veil also, in a small way, deflects some of the distractions and helps me concentrate a little better.

I have several different veils: 3 white lace veils, 1 black fabric "veil", 1 black lace veil, and 1 bright purple scarf. During most of the year, I'll wear one of my white lace veils, keeping to the old tradition. I'll wear a black veil for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, and I'll wear my purple scarf during Advent and Lent - simply to match the liturgical season.

I'm one of those women who prefers to have most of the hair to be covered, taking the Blessed Virgin's example in this matter. Wide headbands don't cut it for me, although they can help cover the "crown" section of my head in case my veil slips (my purple headscarf tends to do that. A lot. Drives me nuts). I typically go for more of the scarf style of veil, which covers pretty much all of my hair, all the way down to my waist.

Outside of Mass, I typically won't cover my head. I'll sometimes wear bandanas on my head when I'm in a domestic kind of mood. I'll wear my sweatshirt hoods frequently. When I was a historical reenactor up in New England, I wore a cotton cap and sunbonnet while I worked. The cap I didn't mind as much as the sunbonnet....the lack of visibility really got annoying after a while. I did also wear a headband when I worked at the dairy to help keep my hair cleaner.

However, for some religious things out of Mass, I'll cover my head. I'll sometimes cover my head during the family Rosary. I used to also cover my head when I read Holy Scripture. For that, I'll use an old piece of blue fabric with painted flowers - which, in my youth, was meant as a beach wrap. Sometimes, I'll also cover my head as an act of penance during Lent.

I have toyed with the idea of veiling all the time, but have decided at this point not to pursue it. Maybe once I'm out on my own, or if I ever work on a farm again, I shall give it more consideration. I don't feel it to be necessary at this point in my life either.

And thus I conclude for now. I must be off, there is much to be done today!

Old-fashionably yours,

Catherine



P.S. For anyone who is curious and wishes to learn more, I have included the following links:

Veils by Lily. This is probably the most comprehensive of all the FAQs regarding veiling.
Unam Sanctam Catholicam. This page explains a lot of the scriptural meanings of veiling.
"Why Do Women Cover Their Heads in Church?", The Remnant. This particular article by John Salza is a very in-depth analysis of some of the passages from 1 Corinthians.
Fish Eaters. This article explains the traditions of veiling.
One Peter Five. Written by a contemporary woman in everyday laymen's english, it demolishes some of the liberal misconceptions.
Sensus Fidelium has a few video sermons on the subject, two of which are HERE and HERE.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. After reading this, I went right to Amazon and ordered chapel veils for my sisters and I. :) More and more women have been veiling at our parish, and the rise in this lovely gesture of reverence has been really encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J+M+J
    I won't comment much, as I obviously don't wear them, but I will say this: great post; the world needs more reverence; thank you!
    (And as a side note from a different point of view, and in general, it is less distracting for us gentlemen too when you ladies wear veils, so thank you!)

    The Doorman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've occasionally worn coverings and own some lace ones and amish ones, but not really my thing ;p And I don't mean that because I haven't studied it. I seriously believe it's up to one's conscious. I like my hair, and love styling it though ... from ages 14-18 one never saw me without a hat. I'm not sure how I stopped wearing it, but happened when I started finding confidence in who I was. I still love hats on occasion ... really would love to wear old fashioned hats more. I wear a lot of bandannas and head scarves while I clean to help my hair stay clean, otherwise I'd always have to be washing my hair ;-0 I also love long floral scarves braided in my hair or tied around my head and left to hand. very gypsy and pretty, and even has a Hebraic/ Jewish feel that I love.

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally get that - I don't feel comfortable with cap-like coverings, especially ones that tie under my chin. Headscarves and headbands are my favorites too!

      I love my long hair too - and playing with styles is one of my favorite things in the world. Hats aren't really my thing - mostly because my hair gets caught in them!

      Thank you so much for commenting, Keturah! I was looking forward to hearing yours especially, since we have similar loves for the old-fashioned femininity.

      Delete
  4. I really struggle with this, the idea of veiling during Mass. So, reading about your experience was interesting! On the other hand, I pretty much always wear a veil while saying the rosary. And I do like to wear hats and headbands.

    ReplyDelete

Send Me a Message!

Name

Email *

Message *